Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Be careful of what you ask for.....

One thing I've had a lot of lately is time.  And the lesson I've learned most recently is "be careful of what you ask for, because you just may get it".

One of my most favorite horror stories has always been The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs published in England in 1902.  I've read the story several times over and over again.  I watched my dad play the role of the father in that story in a collection of short skits combined into one Halloween performance at a theater in Chicago when he was alive and acting.  That performance of his was dedicated to me in the program.  I don't have a copy of it anymore, but I remember reading "For my daughter Jenni, who always loves a good scary story".

Anyone familiar with this story knows that the main message in that story is just what I opened this blog with.  Be careful of what you ask for, because you just may get it.  Although, the means that it is gotten by may be less then desirable leading you to regret ever making the request in the first place.  That life is ruled by fate, and one should not wish things differently then what fate has in store for it because things can go horribly wrong.  And the lesson of that horror story is one I should have taken more closely to heart. 

Anyone not familiar with it, check it out.  It's worth it.

Most recently in my life I had requested several times over and over again for a break from.......just things.  I was stressed, angry, what I thought at the time was too busy, and would just say to anyone that would listen "I just want a BREAK!"  As I'm sure we've all muttered at some point in time in all of our busy lives. 

I hadn't been feeling "right" for a long time now.  And recently learned the cause of it as things kept taking a turn for the worse.  It is a condition that is fixable, and hopefully soon I will be fixed up and at least as good as new, if not better.  It would appear I just need a tune-up ;-).  In the meantime though, I have been forced into "taking a break".  My health just won't allow me to NOT take that break at this time.  The spirit has been willing, unfortunately the body just can't keep up.  I try to do little things here and there, and I'm exhausted.  Or I have to call someone and say "I just can't, I'm sorry.  Please help" because I just don't feel well at all and those are some of the hardest words I've ever had to mutter.  And I find myself wishing I was as stressed and busy as I was 6 months ago.

There has been times in the last few years that I'd start putting on a little extra weight ( I know, I know....I'm tiny, but I can still be self-conscious ya know?) and I'd think "Damn I miss the days of my teens where I didn't have to be mindful of what I ate".  Due to the above mentioned health issue my weight has dramatically dropped.  By about 30 pounds, which on my frame is a whole lot that I didn't have to lose.  And I find myself wishing I had most of that back.

Which is what led me to realize......be careful what you wish for, because you just may in fact get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment