Thursday, June 9, 2011

Skinny girls have feelings too

I've recently been inspired to get back to my roots, which is writing as an outlet.  This may be my one and only blog, it may be the first of many.  It may make you smile, it may piss you off, either way...I don't really care, because it's mine.  Hopefully people will read it and enjoy it, and maybe take something away from it.  It's not meant to offend, however it's also not meant to satisfy anyone but me.

That being said, back to elaborating on my title.  I am a skinny girl.  I have always been a skinny girl with the exception of when I was pregnant with my 2 children.  I am naturally thin, blessed with a high metabolism that I inherited from my mother.  I am not anorexic, I am not bulimec, I do not obsess over my weight, watch what I eat, or over-exercise.  I eat what I want, when I want, how much of it I want, and exercise if and when I damn well feel like it.  And I'm tired of apologizing for it. I have been doing it the vast majority of my life now and to be perfectly honest, it gets very tiring.   I don't ask you to explain or apologize for your height, weight, hair color, or eye color so why should I be made to feel inferior because I am thin?

I have heard all the jokes, smart ass remarks, and then some.  Some are quite creative, others, not so much.  The most common ones being: "Do you ever eat?  Why don't you go eat a sandwich?  She's not hungry, she ate a grape yesterday.  Here's a pool cue-HIDE!!" And that's among the side-way glances, dirty looks, and the half-ass joking of being told someone hates me, that I could fit into the leg of their jeans, that I could shop in the children's section, the list goes on and on.

The majority of the time I smile, force a giggle, and walk away, when in all actuality I'd like to reach out and slap the person making the snide remark because although they do the best to make it come off as joke, it's blatantly obvious there is a snide and sometimes disrespectful aspect to their comment. If a heavy set person, ethnic person, or disabled person received comments and jokes in the manner that skinny girls do it would border on harassment and discrimination. Which leads me back to my above mentioned statements.  Why should I apologize to you because of my body size and shape?  I don't ask you to apologize for yours and ask for the same respect from you when it comes to mine.  I can no more help the fact that I am thin then you can help what eye color you have.

An additional side note when it comes to me personally, I currently have a semi-serious health issue going on that has made me lose even more weight, that I personally can't afford to lose.  The weight loss has been unexplained and can not be controlled until I get a surgical fix which is in the doctors hands, not mine.  If it were up to me, I would be about 20 pounds heavier, healthier, and damn sure a lot happier.

 So, I have the choice of smiling and pretending that my feelings are not affected by every sarcastic  remark made at me, crying, yelling, snapping back, or finding a different outlet which is what I have done here.  The long and short of this is, yes, I am thin.  I'm blessed, lucky, and grateful for the size and shape I was given in this life.  But.....I also have feelings, that can be hurt when smart ass comments are made directed at that size and shape, especially in my current condition which is unhealthy and not in my control.  So, please, think before you speak.  Skinny girls have feelings too.

2 comments:

  1. Well said.... I think you should talk about your tattoos. There's gotta be a story or two there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea John. They've been works in progress for the past 14 years with more work to be done. :) Thanks for reading!!!!

    ReplyDelete