Friday, June 10, 2011

Every picture tells a story, don't it?

In the words of Rod Stewart,  ♫♫ Every picture tells a story, don't it? ♫♫.  I currently have 11 pieces of artwork permanently inked onto my body (Yes, that's right.  I said 11, surprised?)  and most of them have a story to tell.  So here goes......

My very first piece of artwork was when I was 19 and actually started more as a bet then anything else.  I was bet $5 that I couldn't actually go through the pain of getting inked.  Considering I now have 11 of them with the intention to add on to those, I would say I won.  It is mid thigh on my right leg.  It is half of a sun and half of a moon, and is still as bright today as it was the day I got it done.  The sun is a masculine symbol of giving life.  Without it the world would be cold, dark, and barren.  The moon is a feminine symbol of touching all life and stimulating life, especially at night.  When put together, simply put life is created.

#2 came in the form of a daisy on the left side, lower to mid portion of my back.  The daisy represents innocence, loyalty in love, purity, and faith.  Although the artist did a shitty job so be careful of who you choose to permanently decorate your body.  #3 is a butterfly centered on some tribal art in between my shoulder blades on my back.  The butterfly represents delicate beauty, while stronger then it appears.  You can not kill a butterfly by simply crushing it's wings.

#4 is an ankle band of cherry blossoms, all randomly colored in various colors because, well, I'm random.  However, the cherry blossom represents the transience of life.  It is short, enjoy it to it's fullest.  #5 is a piece of tribal art with a heart on my lower back.  The only meaning behind that is that I like tribal art tattoos.  A lot.  And the guy who did it owed my ex money and worked it off on my back.  And that one hurt like a son of a bitch.  I'm aware ones in that location are referred to as tramp stamps.  The last person that said that too me got very familiar with how it feels to get kicked in the nuts.  #6 is the tribal art circling my left wrist, because again, I like tribal art.  I think it's cool.

#7 holds the spot nearest and dearest to my heart and always will.  It is a blue rose with some tribal.  It is on the left side of my chest by my heart.  A blue rose (or black ones) symbolize rebellion.  It holds a special place in my heart because my father paid for me to get that one done.  My step-mother wanted a tattoo (her 1st) for her birthday and was nervous going alone.  He called me asking me to go with her and in exchange he would pay for a new one for me.  My dad has since passed away.  But I will forever have a piece of him literally on my heart.  It is faded and could use a touch up, but no one will ever touch it again.

#8, well that's just amusing.  My now ex hated my tattoos and piercings.  With a passion.  Told me regularly how trashy they were and if I got anymore he would move out.  So......after our separation I did some researching (with the help of a friend and tattoo artist) and found the 2 chinese symbols that are tattooed on my right shoulder blade.  One means freedom, one means independence.  It just felt like the right thing to do ;-)  It was also done by a friend and paid for by my longest friend as a birthday gift.

#9 is the 3 symbols tattooed on my left shoulder blade.  They are 3 zodiac signs.  One for me.  One for each of my children.

#10 and #11 are both stars on top and bottom of my right wrist.  Stars symbolize guidance and protection.  They are there to light the way home when one has lost their way.

To add to that, I also have my belly pierced, my tongue pierced, my nose pierced, several holes in each ear including my cartilage.  Gauges in sized to 2g.  My tragus pierced, and my conch pierced (if curious google the images or look at my ears next time you see me).

So, there you have it.  There will be more added, some may have meaning, some may be just simply because I think it looks bad ass.  I know a lot of people think they're trashy, I think they're lovely and they make me me.  Simply put, you may not understand why those of us with them have them.  And you know what?  We don't understand why you don't.  But we also don't judge you because you don't so please don't judge us because we do.  We're still good, caring, honest hard working people.  They don't make us bad, trashy, or criminals simply because we choose to have body art, even though that can be the stereotype given rather easily.  Most definitely falls into the "don't judge a book by it's cover" category.  Those of us that love them will never be able to make those that don't understand why we do and we respect that.  Please respect the fact that we're still people, just more colorfully decorated ones :-)

Most of them have a reason for being there because.......every picture tells a story, don't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment